Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Why I Give: Evy Gozali (Class of 1997)

Evy Gozali graduated from Singapore American School in 1997, the first class to graduate from our Woodlands campus. Today, she is running a vineyard and winery in Bali, Indonesia together with her mother. As a donor to the SAS Foundation, I spoke to her about her student experience and ultimately, how this impacts why she gives back to the school today.

How did your experience at Singapore American School influence your career path and ultimately, your operation of a vineyard and winery in Bali?

After studying at SAS through four years of high school, the most important lessons that I learned were open-mindedness and that life is about having fun in whatever you do. I also gained a strong independent spirit from my teachers and learned to believe in the strength of the power inside of you and act from there. Today, as the owner of a vineyard and winery, my career has very little to do with the economics and finance degrees that I earned in university, but it is these important lessons that I learned at SAS that help me most today.

What do you remember most from your time at SAS?

I was actually a nerd in high school. I loved my accounting class so much that I took advanced accounting the next term. I loved watching dance and choir performances. And I loved participating in all the bake sales for my service clubs. One of my greatest memories was my high school Interim Semester trip to France in my junior year.

Tell us what makes Sababay wines unique in Asia?

At the end of 2009, my mom and I were exploring Bali and the new highway that had opened to the north. We witnessed the grape harvesting season in Buleleng and met grape farmers who were making less than US $100 annually. My mom, who didn't even drink wine at the time, knew she could help the farmers earn a better living and improve grape farming for the next generation in Indonesia through the development of a vineyard and winery. Today, we grow the grapes and make the wines that reflect the flavor of the grapes in our microclimate in Bali. We have formed a bridge between the local farmers and our end customers through our integrated farming concept. We are so proud of our work and have recently received 25 international awards recognizing our vineyard and winery. We are the fastest growing winery in Indonesia.

Can visitors to Bali pay a visit Sababay winery?

Yes, we would love to have visitors from SAS if they are in the area. Please contact me directly via email (evy@ sababaywinery.com or info@sababaywinery.com) to make an appointment before you come!

You recently joined the Eagle Society and make an annual gift to the SAS Foundation. Why has it been important for you to give back to your school?

It is important for me to give back to SAS in any way I can. I want SAS to be here in the future and continue to breed students who are multi-talented, have a strong will to solve world problems, a creative mindset, and an international awareness in these challenging times.




from Singapore American School http://ift.tt/2pJSriA

No comments:

Post a Comment