Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Super Simple Paper Plate Letter Learning Activity for Preschoolers

Click here to read Super Simple Paper Plate Letter Learning Activity for Preschoolers on Hands On As We Grow


Learning letters doesn’t have to be worksheets and drills. Try a fun hands-on paper plate letter learning activity to help your preschooler build letter recognition!

Letters are a funny thing. They’re just a shape, a squiggle, a design… but they mean something.

Getting kids to recognize letters takes repetition. I love the letter learning activities we’ve done in the past, like Find the Letter on the Heart.

This paper plate letter learning activity is a super simplified version of my other find the letter activities.

This idea came during a recent 7 Day Challenge! A challenger suggested laminating a pumpkin to be able to redo it over and over with different letters.

I love that idea!

Going off of that, I thought of paper plates. They’re cheap and easy to keep on hand.

Super Simple Paper Plate Letter Learning Activity for Preschoolers

Using a paper plate to practice learning a couple of letters -- so smart!

First, write four letters around a paper plate, several times each. Then, just call out which letter to find and your child can paper clip it.

This is another variation on that.

My new paper plate letter learning activity is simpler, too. It doesn’t take the refined fine motor skills of using a paper clip or clothespin.

Using a paper plate to practice learning a couple of letters -- so smart!

On one side of the paper plate, I wrote the letter “e.” On the other side, I wrote the letter “c.”

This means I can use this activity with two different letters, and more than once!

Around the edges of both sides of the plate, I wrote the letters “e,” “c,” and “a.” I added the extra letter make this activity slightly more advanced.

Space the letters at about the same intervals.

Then I cut slits between each letter.

This paper plate letter learning activity is so simple to create!

Next, I gave the plate to Louis. He laid it with the letter “e” side up first.

Remember how I said that letters are just marks, squiggles and such? Well, that’s true to a preschooler that doesn’t know what they mean yet.

Your job while doing letter learning activities is to put meaning to the squiggles.

Before starting the activity, introduce those squiggles to your child.

I showed Louis the plate and said:

“This is the letter ‘e.'”

I pointed to the letter in the middle of the plate.

“Can you find any other places with letter ‘e’?”

He found the letter “e” on the plate flaps and folded them toward the center.

When he was done, he flipped it over. Then, we did the same thing with the letter “c” on the other side.

Using a paper plate to practice learning a couple of letters -- so smart!

It’s so quick to prep, that I made another plate with the letters “s” and “t.”

Using a paper plate to practice learning a couple of letters -- so smart!

For this paper plate letter learning activity, I chose to have Louis work on lowercase letters. I just wanted to introduce lower case letters, no other reason.

You could make this paper plate activity with anything though! Numbers, shapes, sight words, you name it!

You could even use quick addition/subtraction facts, like my oldest is currently working on.

I would put the total, like 15, in the center of the plate. Then he could find all the problems that add/subtract to equal 15.

What would you make this paper plate learning activity about?



from Hands On As We Grow https://ift.tt/2AfDrhN

No comments:

Post a Comment