Friday, June 8, 2018

Why I Give: Mendy Wheeler Crews (Class of 1996)

How did your experience in Singapore and at Singapore American School impact your life?

Growing up in Singapore was a true gift. I started prekindergarten in 1982 and graduated from high school in 1996, so I consider Singapore my hometown. I can clearly recall our black and white bungalow on Binjai Park, the Ulu Pandan and Kings Road campuses, the hawker stalls, Orchard Road and the lush, tropical green that never stopped growing. SAS is also where I met my husband and best friend, Kirk. Living in the US for the last 20 years, I am so thankful for the overseas experiences that opened my mind and heart to travel, different cultures, and people. In college I knew I wanted to be an educator because of the teachers that were mentors at SAS. I love telling my own two children stories about monkeys swinging on trees in my backyard when I was little or traveling to Jakarta to swim in a meet or going to a formal with their dad. I'd love for them to see Singapore one day and visit SAS to see where it all started.

What do you remember most from your time at SAS?

Of all my memories, what stands out most are the people who made such an impact in my life, many of them teachers or coaches at SAS. Mr. Habel taught me how to swim at Ulu Pandan when I was in kindergarten and he was also my varsity swim coach in high school. Mr. Norman, one of my favorite coaches, led us to an exciting IASAS softball championship in Bangkok my sophomore year. My high school English teacher, Ms. Keuster planted a seed in me to explore my love for writing. My fourth grade teacher, Mr. Green, was kind and encouraging and he made our class laugh every day. Kate Grace, my science-loving, rainforest-saving, poem reading fifth grade teacher left a deep impression on me. I remember Mr. Connor being such an exceptional person who always had an uplifting word and contagious school spirit. These people are the reason I wanted to teach. Finally, being far from Texas relatives, we adopted a new extended family while living in Singapore. The Adhiwihyogos, the Hortons, the Klusmeiers, the Martins, the Nobles, the Stefaniks, the Sunquists, and many, many more dear friends shared holidays, school events, and special memories with us that still put a smile on my face.

You recently joined the board of the SAS Foundation. Why has it been important for you to give back and support SAS with both your time and your philanthropy?

If there were two people that put their hearts into SAS, it would be my parents. My mom, Darlene, served as PTA and Booster Club president, a teacher at SAS, and volunteered countless hours at school. My dad, John, coached more teams that I can remember for my brother, Fletcher, my sister, Katie, and me. He was school board president for several years and helped to transition SAS to the new Woodlands campus. I saw that as my parents gave their time and energy to the school, they were blessed many times over. As a little girl, my parents showed me how important it is to serve your school community. I give in their honor as their time and energy made SAS a better place.

Why is alumni engagement important for SAS?

Recently, I attended an alumni event in Washington DC. Seeing alumni that graduated just this past year as well as 10 years before me was intriguing. I was able to meet Dr. Chip Kimball, the current superintendent, who is hard at work implementing an amazing vision for current students and teachers. Although we all weren't at SAS at the same time—or even on the same campus—we connected in a very special way knowing that we were all shaped and molded by Singapore American School. Once an Eagle, always an Eagle. Forever.



from Singapore American School https://ift.tt/2JouPOn

No comments:

Post a Comment