Friday, June 8, 2018

Why I Give: Suzanne Heathorn

How long has your family been part of the Singapore American School community?

My child Izak joined the SAS community in 2006 going into second grade. My younger son Zavier joined the community in 2009 starting at pre-k. I have been working in the elementary school for 13 years now.

Why did you choose SAS?

SAS has a reputation that has surpassed itself in the international school community. I was working for another international school in 1996, and it was often mentioned among my colleagues that SAS was a leader in education. It was a school that had the reputation of putting students first. It was an institution that honored professional learning and prided itself on staying focused on education. It was a school that was not about making a profit but making a difference in children's lives.

Tell us why you volunteer at SAS?

I have always felt that SAS was like a family and a community. My colleagues uphold the core values of the school such as compassion and responsibility. I am part of the Active Girl Guides clubs here helping with their art badges. Being an ex-Brownie and Girl Guide myself, it has been a joy to see the girls learn new skills through their badges.

I am also part of 100 Women Singapore where women can join together and nominate and donate to local Singaporean causes that are not always government funded. My gift to SAS has been a part of giving back to a community I believe in. It has been a rewarding experience to dedicate my resources to the services of teachers like Thomas Schultz who like many staff at SAS shared his passion, skills, and talents with my child Izak—who, even after graduating—aspires to be an active alumnus and help in the Drama class in high school. I have also been a recipient of a parent's donation and I have been touched knowing I made a difference.

What excites you about the education at SAS?

I believe SAS is creating exceptional thinkers of the future. My son Izak, now serving in Singapore National Service as a policeman has truly benefited from the education at SAS. I often say SAS did not just enrich Izak's mind but his soul. Izak has said that going to SAS gave him an excellent foundation to meet the rigorous academic and physical demands of the police force and respect and understand the reason for the training and academic work. He excelled in his studies and he was mindful of respecting his peers around him. Students from over 55 countries attend SAS and Izak was exposed to understanding and respecting cultural differences and learning from those. Izak felt SAS gave him the skills needed to understand how to problem solve and think for himself during different academic exams applying his knowledge directly to problem solve different potentially life-threatening scenarios that Singapore police face on a daily basis.

Why do you choose to support the SAS Foundation?

I believe that giving back in honor of teachers that have touched our children's lives is a true way of showing our appreciation. I value how the advancement team at SAS connected with me to share how my gift contributed to the ongoing development of the school.

Why is it important for the community to support SAS?

I believe if we all contributed a gift to the foundation, we can feel we have supported a community that believes in the future of children—that each person is recognizing that this school does make a difference and that there is no other school like it in the world.



from Singapore American School https://ift.tt/2sQmxUh

No comments:

Post a Comment